Roa Island HDR
Stark and imposing Piel Castle stands watch over Morecambe Bay from its north west corner, at the tip of the Furness Peninsular.
Built by the monks of Furness Abbey in the 14th century to provide them with protection from the constant Scottish raids which afflicted the area, it also gave the monks a way to monitor traffic heading out to the Isle of Man and Ireland.
The island was the site on June, 4 1487 where Lambert Simnel landed with an 8,000-striong army of mercenaries on the way to an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow Henry VII.
The castle became property of Henry VIII after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537 and was left to ruin. It was given, along with the island to the people Barrow-in-Furness in 1920 to commemorate those killed in the First World War.
The pub and the small cottages were built in the 19th century and the landlord of the pub carries the title ‘King of Piel Island’ and has his own coronation ceremony, queen and princesses.
Roa Island Lifeboat Station